We are having a tough time trying to leave the Bay! Yesterday morning we weighed anchor at the Cove Island Harbour anchorage and headed out to Lake Huron via the Devils Island Channel. Once we were on the ‘big cheese’, we encountered 2-3 meter rollers – waves right over the bow at times.
The boat was taking a pounding, and we certainly weren’t up for 24 hours of those sea conditions. The wave rollers were left over slop from the southern 30+ knot winds the day before. The winds were only 14-15 knots, but enough to not let the seas lay down. As a result, we headed back to Georgian Bay through the Cape Hurd Channel and anchored a few miles from Tobermory in Dunk’s Bay. It was a pleasant evening, until we woke up at 0230 to 25 knot winds out of the East. The anchorage was exposed to the East. Fortunately the anchor held because we had 160′ of chain out in 29 feet of water. Our stern was only 20 feet from a rocky shoreline. We decided to not take a chance on the anchor dragging, and weighed anchor and headed to the gas dock in Tobermory arriving at 0330. This morning we took a slip for tonight. We had many thunderstorms today and torrential rainfall.
Our next weather window will be Wednesday, or Thursday wherein we can get back onto Lake Huron and head to Sarnia. With the thunderstorms today, and higher winds again on Lake Huron tomorrow, the seas will be very heavy – and no better than yesterday. There has been a very unusual amount of strong southern winds on Lake Huron over the past week. Since we are at the top end of Huron, that puts us on the lee shore with 150 nMiles of Lake Huron fetch to build huge wave rollers.
Tomorrow, we will head back to the Cove Island Harbour anchorage and wait it out until Wednesday or Thursday morning.
The picture below is us docked at the Tobermory Town Marina.